Friday, July 25, 2014

Le Tour de France: Paris Day 3

Saturday, July 5
Woke up to rain, but it had stopped after breakfast. We optimistically packed a picnic, then picked up bikes and set off for Musée Marmottan Monet. We rode along the Seine and passed the Eiffel Tower on the way, so of course I had to stop for photos.  
Eiffel Tower

Then we picked up bikes near the Trocadero and rode down a big avenue where the bike line was along the center median, so luxurious. I was very unhappy to see the long line of people waiting outside the Marmottan, phooey. I checked the Paris Pastry app to find a nearby bakery, and we walked to A La Flûte Enchantée, and got some black forest bread to go with our picnic, and a mille-feuille and Speculoos éclair for dessert. We were going to picnic in the park, but it started to rain. [I also used a self-cleaning public restroom for the first time. I was afraid I would get trapped inside, but thankfully the door opened.] The museum line seemed shorter than when we arrived, and it was raining on our picnic anyway, so we ate our lunch in line under my umbrella.


As we waited in line, I saw on the banner that it was the last weekend of a special exhibition of Impressionist paintings held in private collections, and most of the people in line were speaking French. Perhaps people from Paris and the suburbs came to see the show before it closed. Finally we entered the museum and got the audioguide. When I looked out the window, the line was even longer than when we first arrived, yikes! I enjoyed the permanent collection very much. There were many lovely paintings in the special exhibition, but it was just too crowded. I think the special exhibition space is not big enough for so much art. There is no place to sit, and one gentleman who sat on the stoop was asked to move! Also it was very warm, and my chocolates melted. (I ate them anyway.)

Dan wanted to bike down the Champs-Élysées and have his own personal Tour de France, so we headed that way on the way back. We stopped for a few photos, but we only made it a few blocks before turning. The Champs-Élysées is crazy!
Arc de Triomphe


After a rest at the apartment, we biked around the Jardin du Luxembourg to dinner at Le Timbre, a tiny and delicious restaurant. And we saw a Bassett Hound! His name was Maurice, and the man who walked him was very nice and let me pet the dog. At dinner we sat next to a French gentleman, seemed he was a regular. He got an amuse-bouche and was chatting with the chef. Also he had a cheese course after his meal, then dessert. I love cheese, but I don't know how the French eat it after dinner and still have room for dessert. (Maybe they didn't eat so many pastries and chocolates during the day though.) Dan started with an anchovy tart, and I had foie gras. Then pork for him and magret de canard with roasted peaches for me. The duck was so delicious. I had chocolate quenelles for dessert, and Dan had another mille-feuille. It was our favorite meal in Paris. I was impressed that the chef was alone in the kitchen, doing everything himself. We sat next to a couple of Scottish ladies who also enjoyed their meals. [Later I read that the restaurant is closing, so I am glad we had the chance to try it!]

Le Timbre

Magret de canard

After dinner we walked to the Eiffel Tower to see it sparkle! We stopped for a photo of the golden dome of Les Invalides on the way. I saw two rats scamper into the bushes in the Champs de Mars, they were huge! Parisian rats! After the sparkle, we biked along the Seine back to the apartment. Despite the rain and waiting in line, it was another great day in Paris!


No comments: